This is the second time in a year and a half that the thrift store has closed and re-opened, both times under circumstances beyond our control. On January 20, 2019, a fire swept through the store, destroying the building and all its contents. To this day, the empty lot just up the street from the CVTS office remains a constant reminder of the devastating impact of that fateful night. We were fortunate to re-open in a temporary location in April 2019, and then again in a second, temporary location in May 2019.
Fast forward 10 months and we were forced to close the doors again when COVID-19 hit our community and changed our lives. It has been over two months since both stores were shut down, and staff are anxious to get back to work!
For thrift store shoppers and donors, things are going to look a little different. To ensure the safety of customers, volunteers and staff, strict safety measures have been implemented:
- Only a limited number of people will be allowed in the store at one time.
- All shoppers are required to hand sanitize as they enter the store.
- Anyone showing signs of illness will not be permitted to enter the store.
- We have removed some shelving to allow for more space, and implemented directional aisles to ensure social distancing while shopping.
- A plexiglass divider has been installed at the cashier’s counter.
- Only one individual at a time will be accepted at the donation door.
The store hours have changed, too. We will be open Monday through Saturday, from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., to allow time for staff to clean and disinfect surfaces.
Donations will be accepted during store hours via the large garage door at the Puntledge Road location. We will no longer accept donations at the side door.
We look forward to seeing you!