Violence is Preventable
Violence is Preventable (VIP) is a comprehensive provincial strategy, developed by the B.C. Society of Transition Houses, for linking school districts and individual schools with Children Who Witness Abuse (CWWA) Counselling Programs.
- Through the VIP strategy, schools and Children Who Witness Abuse (CWWA) programs work together to ensure that children and youth who have been impacted by domestic violence receive the support services they need.
- One of the key values inherent in VIP is the belief that every student benefits by having increased awareness of the issue of interpersonal violence.
- VIP services include:
- information sessions for teachers, school counselors and administrators on the effects of children’s exposure to domestic violence,
- school-based presentations on domestic violence prevention,
- individual support and counseling for children who have been exposed to domestic violence.
- At risk students are identified and invited to join in group sessions, which are co-facilitated by a CWWA Counsellor and a school counselor.