What is Abuse
Intimate partner violence and abuse comes in many forms, whether physical, emotional or sexual, and it leaves deep marks that can be long-lasting.
Intimate partner violence and abuse includes, but is not limited to:
- Emotional abuse such as criticisms and put-downs
- Physical violence such as pushing and hitting, pinching, grabbing, choking, slapping
- Sexual violence, such as non-consensual sex
- Explicit or implied threats of harm against the woman and/or her children
- Public or social humiliation
- Financial control
- Controlling behaviours that isolate a woman from friends, family or community and restricts her ability to make her own decisions
- Destroying property or harming or neglecting pets
Comox Valley Transition Society can provide information and education to help you in making safe choices.
Does your partner...
- Get jealous when you’re around other people?
- Make fun of you in front of friends and family?
- Destroy, or threaten to destroy, your possessions?
- Praise you one minute and put you down the next?
- Call you names or threaten you/threaten to take your children?
- Ignore you or not take you seriously?
- Make you choose between family/friends & them?
- Push you around or hit you?
- Say that abuse is wrong but hit the walls and yell at you?
- Have to ask permission to spend money or go out?
- Feel isolated from friends, family and activities?
- Have to make things right just for them?
- Feel it’s your fault when anything goes wrong?
Do you feel...
- Afraid to make decisions for fear of their reaction or anger?
- That you have to check in if you go anywhere?
- That they are trying to run your life?
- Afraid to tell them if you have a good time?
- That maybe all the terrible things they say about you are coming true or happening?
- That you have to put your dreams and goals on hold?
- Afraid to express your own opinions or say ‘no’ to something?
- Your joy in your life diminishing?
- Afraid to break up or leave them?
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of these questions, you may be in an abusive relationship. You are not alone.